top of page

History of Milford Presbyterian Church

Presbyterian History

Presbyterian history dates back to the 16th century when theological and social differences in Europe led to the Protestant Reformation period. Presbyterianism was the name given to one of the ecclesiastical bodies (denominations) representing the features of French lawyer, John Calvin (1509-1564).

Presbyterians were among the earliest reformed immigrants to arrive in America. They settled up and down the east coast and moved westward while founding congregations as early as the 1630’s, and developed its own indigenous leadership and educational, mission, and charitable institutions. As of 2021, the Presbyterian Church had over 1.1 million members and 8,800 congregations

Our History

Milford Presbyterian Church (ca. 1908)

The first account of a Presbyterian church in Caroline County, VA, is in 1855, when the Caroline Presbyterian Church was located in Bowling Green, VA. Very little documented information for this organization is available, although prior research conducted and written by C.W. Butterworth indicates activity did occur from 1855 to 1885.

The original Caroline Presbyterian church/organization, for some reason, was abandoned.

1908-1928: Congregations of the original “Milford Presbyterian Church” met in a home across the street from where the church is now located. The original church consisted of one room where worship, Sunday school, and the choir shared the same space. This building is now a private home.

October, 1908:  Reverend J. O. Jones, of the Synod of Virginia, inaugurated a movement to secure land in Milford upon which to build a new chapel. Mr. Wilson N. Blatt donated the land, and his family and many other friends and community believers contributed to the building of and creation of Milford Presbyterian Church. By November, building plans were accepted and the contractor was paid in full.

 

March, 1909: The commission of East Hanover Presbytery met and reorganized the church by changing the name from the Caroline Presbyterian Church to Milford Presbyterian Church, and dedicated the new building.

 

Additional information is available in a spiral bound book located in the church titled “Milford Presbyterian Church 1908-2000”, compiled by Katherine Blatt, Albert Clow, Ellen Thornton, Karen Blatt Binter, and Donna Carter Farmer.

bottom of page